Direttore Artistico Chantry Dance Company & School
Rae is co-Artistic Director of Chantry Dance Company and Principal Dancer. She is also a freelance choreographer working mainly in opera, musicals, contemporary dance and theatre.
Rae trained in dance with Gail Gordon (Head of Dance, Bristol Old Vic Theatre School) and Penelope Wright (Rambert Ballet and Ballet Gulbenkian), and in singing with Maureen Scott (Royal Academy of Music) and Neil Rhoden (Musical Director, Bristol Old Vic Theatre School). She has also had the fortune to be taught by some other remarkable teachers who have been key in her influencing her dance development, including Stephen Pelton (Stephen Pelton Dance Theatre) and Tory Jestyn Trotter (NDT).
Rae has performed in theatre for over 20 years in many productions. Selected credits include:
- ‘Love Never Dies’ – Acrobatics Captain and Swing, original cast (Really Useful Group, Adelphi Theatre, West End)
- ‘INXILE – The Trail of Tears ‘-The Black Virgin (Álvaro Restrepo, LBS, Sadler’s Wells)
- ‘Our House’ – Mrs Pressman/Ensemble (Pimlico Opera)
- ‘Encore Mr Producer!’ – featured singer/dancer (Cameron Mackintosh & Jean Ann Ryan Productions)
- ‘Ballo in Maschera’- Featured dancer and Assistant Choreographer (Royal Opera House)
Rae is also an former international aerialist and contortionist, performing at venues such as Café de Paris, The Spotlight Summer Ball, NCL’s Norwegian Dawn and Sun, and for corporate clients including Nikon, Canon, Gymbox and Magic TV.
Rae is co-Artistic Director of Chantry Dance Company, and works collaboratively with fellow co-Artistic Director, Paul Chantry, to create ballets as a principal dancer.
Outside of CDC, Rae works in a choreographic partnership with Paul Chantry. Together they have choreographed numerous productions. Selected credits include:
- ‘Gangsta Granny’ for David Walliams and Birmingham Stage Company (Two UK tours & Garrick Theatre, West End)
WINNER – “Best Home Produced Show”, What’s On Reader’s Awards
NOMINATED – “Best Touring Play”, What’s On Reader’s Awards
NOMINATED – “Best Children’s Show”, What’s On Reader’s Awards
NOMINATED – “Best Young People’s Theatre Production”, UK THEATRE AWARDS
- ‘Horrible Histories – Terrible Tudors and Vile Victorians’ (UK Tour)
- ‘Horrible Histories – Horrible Christmas’ (The Lowry Salford, Birmingham Old Rep, Derby Theatre & UK Tour)
- ‘The Last Days of Mankind’ UK Premiere (Bristol Old Vic Theatre Royal)
- ‘Sister Act’ and ‘Our House’ starring Suggs from Madness (Pimlico Opera)
- ‘The Merry Widow‘ and ‘Die Fledermaus’ for the Philharmonia Orchestra and John Wilson (The Royal Festival Hall )
- ‘The Queen of Spades’ Assistant revival director (Teatro Dell’Opera Di Roma).
- ‘Gloria – a pigtale’ for Mahogany Opera Group (Royal Opera House Linbury Studio Theatre, Buxton Opera Festival, Bregenz Opera Festival)
- ‘Shadowbox’ for BESIX and performed for the Prince of Belgium.
Rae holds a BSc (1st Class Hons) from The University of Birmingham in Sport and Exercise Sciences, and was winner of the Chancellor’s Award for academic achievement. She is a qualified Personal Trainer, Fitness Instructor & Nutritional Advisor, and Associate teacher of the International Dance Teachers’ Association with enhanced DBS check and full PLI. Rae has taught at many of the top UK vocational schools and international events, including:
- Rambert School of Ballet and Contemporary Dance
- Elmhurst Ballet School
- English National Ballet School
- Central School of Ballet
- Bristol Old Vic Theatre School
- MOVE IT
- Art Studio Danza – Italy